How to Install a Security Camera
- 23 May, 2017
According to a recent study, over $44 billion worth of merchandise is stolen or lost in the United States.
As a small business owner, your store is high on your list of priorities. It's a huge investment that you want to take care of.
So preventing your business from theft and keeping it safe are your prime concerns. Installing security cameras will take care of both of those.
Read on to learn how to install a security camera in your business.
Decide where you'll place your security cameras
The first step in learning how to install a security camera is to figure out where you're going to place them. If you've never done this before, you may be wondering where to start.
There are some key places you should install your security cameras to ensure business security:
- Entrances and Exits - These areas are the ideal places to put your security cameras. This way, you'll be able to record who is going in and out of your business.
- Storage rooms - These are also high traffic areas that need to be watched. If you're concerned about employee theft, you'll be able to monitor this type of activity with a security camera.
- Cash registers and customer contact points - Depending on your type of business, you'll want to make sure any place that there is customer contact is monitored. Places like right above your cash register area is an ideal spot.
- Outside of your business - Places such as sidewalks, dumpsters, and your parking lot are excellent places to put your security cameras. Here you'll be able to monitor theft. You'll also be able to ensure safety to your employees and customers.
Aside from the actual viewpoints of the security cameras, you want to make sure that you're installing them properly.
Some things to consider when you're deciding how to install a security camera:
- Height - You'll want to ensure that your security cameras are up high enough to record the largest amount of space. Make sure they're high enough so they cannot be vandalized.
- Lighting - Keep your security cameras away from points of light. This will prevent shadows and poor lighting.
- Sheltered - Elements such as rain and snow may affect how your security camera works. Make sure that they're sheltered to prevent any issues with filming.
Find out how to install a security camera
Each type of security system will be connected differently. But most systems will provide you with a mounting kit to actually adhere the camera to the wall.
There are generally three ways you can connect your security camera to a recording system.
These three include:
- Analog system - This system uses a BNC cable to link your DVR, electricity, and your camera in one system.
- POE (power over ethernet) system - POE is a simpler system that only requires an ethernet cord. The cord will connect your camera to the DVR system.
- Wireless system - One of the most convenient ways to install your security camera is the wireless system. You simply need to install your security camera near a power source and connect it wirelessly to your DVR router.
Your business' safety and security should be one of your top priorities. By installing a security camera, you'll sleep soundly knowing your business is being protected.
If you're interested in installing security cameras in your business, take a look at our collections to see which will be a good fit for you.